Monday, May 5, 2008

The Haunted Hills of Pinto

There is an area west of Harmony Mountain rich in human history. In the late 1800s hundreds of hearty pioneers attempted to make a living in the Pinto Creek area. Some found the good water supply and waist-high grassy meadows perfect for ranching. Others recognized a demand for supplies and lodging along the isolated stretches of the Old Spanish trail, Mormon trail, and early freight lines that all ran through this region. Well-known names such as Jacob Hamblin, John D. Lee, and Dudley Leavitt are all associated with the area. The abandonment of these settlements have been blamed on everything from overgrazing, the construction of the Arrowhead Highway (predecessor to I-15), to a curse on the land resulting from the Mountain Meadows Massacre.

I've spent the last few weeks exploring Pinto and the surrounding hills, trying to envision the streets filled with freight wagons hurrying to their next stop, townsfolk gathering for Sunday service, and dusty barefoot kids in overalls playing in the ditch. But let me tell you, It's not easy to imagine life in a place that is now so dead.


Pages Ranch - a rare double cross-wing-style house occupied until 1934. This was an important stop along an early freighting line and, for a while, served as an informal hotel to miners who worked at the nearby iron mines.
Yep, that's a creepy glowing orb coming down the stairs. And yes, I heard strange noises. This place is definitely haunted.





Pinto- settled in 1856, nearly completely abandoned by 1916. A few people have moved back to Pinto in recent years and with a little care have restored a few beautiful homes. As solidly built as they are, they should last a few more hundred years.

You don't see attention to detail on houses like this these days.


Despite the recent influx of retirees, there are still far more people dead than alive at ol' Pinto.

Above is all that remains of a small settlement called Hamblin. Settled in 1856 by Jacob Hamblin but by the end of the century, only tombstones remained. Two notable things about this short-lived village are that this is where several of the surviving children of the Meadows Massacre were taken immediately following the incident, and this is the final resting place of Jacob Truman, reportedly the youngest member of the Mormon Battalion.

Kelsey's Deer Camp - this place is located on the road between New Harmony and Pages Ranch. Not sure what the history is behind it although there is an old coal mine nearby.


Lion's Mouth Cave - Of course long before the Spaniards and Americans settled the area, Native Americans lived here and have their own story to tell.

View out the lion's mouth looking toward Harmony Mountain.



7 comments:

TK421 said...

OOPS! I meant to post this to Cedar & Sand - Please delete -TK

Anonymous said...

Your photography is stunning. I love to see your beautiful family. Keep up the excellent work.

Cher said...

Sue are those your photos? Go girl! I didn't know you had such skills as a photographer! Wow!
What a cool place. I've got to show Bryan that one of the orb. I've never seen one glow like that.
It looks like you are getting out and going on trips. Good for you! I can't wait until our basement is completely done so we can get out of here and explore. Weekends are devoted to finishing. We're almost there! Just one room to finish paint and then d-junking and arranging furniture! You'll have to come up. We'll have a party or BBQ or something and you can stay in the extra room!

Nicole B. said...

Very cool!! Love all the photos, there awesome. I always love checking out your blog, I learn about all these very cool places that I never knew about. You will have to tell me how to get to all these spots!!

Hector and Kandi Knudsen said...

Dang Susie! Nice pictures. They are way cool. My favorite picture is the one of the stairs. Creepy.

hecklerwife said...

Ok...so I have to clarify that Tyler took all of these pictures. He accidentally posted on the family blog instead of his adventure blog. He is amazing though!

Jenny Roberts said...

Very interesting. Love the pictures.

 
Free Blog CounterEnglish German Translation