We made it to our 2nd annual Torrey trip for Labor Day weekend. We were happy to have Tyler's parents join us this year. We stayed in the Cowboy Cabins again and loved it. There are beautiful views all around, a grass area with swing set for the girls, and cows and horses to visit.
This year the girls were excited to meet new friends (the Granddaughters of the cabin owners). They played house in the sheep trailer, climbed trees, and picked pears the whole weekend.
Our first day in Capitol Reef we did the Rim Overlook hike. It was a pretty steep climb to a beautiful view of the Fruita orchards. The girls did great, in fact Ava made it all the way to the overlook before she opted for a backpack ride.

After our hike we met Tyler's parents for a picnic in the park. This park has some huge cottonwood trees as well as this vine tree. Deer are often seen grazing on the grass.
Zoe had been asking to pick fruit for weeks. Picking apples and pears in Fruita is always a highlight of our trip.
We went on an exploratory hike (= no trail...us following Tyler while he tries to find places on his map) with Grandma. We were not able to make it to the old cabin due to private property, but we did find a neat old grave and a huge bed of clam fossils.
Fruita Falls are a must. It was a little cold for me, but Tyler can never resist trying to swim to the waterfall. He keeps telling me it is possible to get to a cave behind it...although in all the trips we have taken the current has always been too strong.
I love to visit this place with Tyler. It makes him giddy. His Dad built a cabin there while he was growing up and he truly loves the area. It is our dream to have a cabin of our own there someday. I'm glad he gets to share a FAVOIRTE place from his childhood with our girls. It is defintly a MUST for everyone to go and visit.For more scenic photographs visit Cedar & Sand


3 comments:
Looks amazing! And I never called on Sunday because we spend majority of the day in Zion. But, we'll be back and I'll give more notice. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of the 5 year plan to relocate permanently.
It's true, there is a cave back behind Fruita Falls! We used to swim back there using the rocks to pull ourselves in when we got close (grantparents had a little cabin down there). Best thing is, there are sucker fish on the walls back there that you can throw at the girl cousins, they hate it. You guys look like you're having a lot of fun, stop making Houstonians jealous!
-Sam
I was bummed you weren't with as well. We did the the Gooseberry Mesa trail...a first for me and I LOVED it. But please tell me the South Rim is somewhat challenging for you? My clips were too tight and we didn't have the tool to loosen them so as you can imagine I fell more the once as I tried to step off. The joys of a new bike, right? Falling off one the of the steep ledges clipped in only left me beat up. We fixed them later that evening and Green Valley Loop was much better. I forgot how fun that ride can be!
We definitely want to come back...probably in the winter months when we can no longer stand the subzero temp mixed with winds.
Post a Comment