
Tyler and I were asked to go to Martin's Cove Wyoming and "Trek" with the youth in our ward. I must say that I was happy to have missed the opportunity myself as a youth, and never imagined I would have to do it as an adult. Tyler on the other hand had quickly volunteered to go as he saw it as a free vacation (we obviously have different definitions of vacation).

This is Oscar the trail dog. He lives 10 miles from Martin's Cove but visits all summer long to walk with the children. We felt lucky that he picked our group as he was so sweet and protective. There is a story that he once started barking at a boys tent right before they found a rattle snake inside. He never begged for attention or food but just enjoyed our company.


We re-enacted what the Mormon pioneers went through in this area by representing the Martin family pulling hand carts, crossing the Sweet Water River, and camping in the windy Wyoming desert.

This was the woman's pull. All of the men were called to be in the Mormon battalion leaving all the ladies to pull the carts up a rocky and sandy hill. I've got to say my legs were burning by the time we made it to the top.


I am glad we went. It was amazing to learn about what the pioneers endured because of their faith. I only had to endure a 10 hour bus ride full of teens who had not showered in 3 days.
2 comments:
I read an article about that trail dog. How cool is it that he chose your group!
Yeah, they had an article about that dog in the Friend last month. How cool! I was able to go on our stake's trek last summer and it was an amazing experience.
Post a Comment